I never really liked cucumbers, but now I’m sharing a Cucumber Ribbon Salad recipe. It’s a change for me! My sister, on the other hand, loved cucumbers since she was a little kid. She used to enjoy playing with water and eating cucumber at the same time!
There are days when cooking feels impossible, and eating out is an option. But, I prefer making something quick at home. This Cucumber Salad is perfect for those times—easy, healthy, and satisfying with the added crunch of peanuts, which I love.
To make the salad look great, use a potato peeler to create thin, long cucumber ribbons. Pick cucumbers with fewer or tender seeds for easier peeling. Thinner ribbons work best!
- 2 cucumbers medium
- 1 red onion small , cut into thin slices
- 1 1/2 tsps lime juice fresh
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp honey
- to taste salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp coriander finely chopped fresh
- 2 tbsps peanuts toasted and crushed
- Trim the ends of the cucumbers.
- Slice each unpeeled cucumber in half lengthwise.
- Use a vegetable peeler to create long, thin cucumber ribbons along the entire length of each half.
- Repeat the peeling process for the other halves and discard the remaining peel.
- In a bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt, and chili flakes to make the dressing.
- Toss the cucumber ribbons in the dressing until well-coated.
- Optionally, sprinkle crushed peanuts for extra crunch.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your refreshing Cucumber Ribbon Salad!
Sould You Peel Ccucmbers For A Salad?
I didn’t take off the skin from the cucumbers in this recipe. I think it makes the salad look more colorful. When you peel a cucumber, it loses some healthy stuff in it. But if you don’t like the skin, you can peel it off!
How Do You Make Cucumber Ribbons?
- Use a spiralizer for the easiest and quickest way to make cucumber ribbons for your salad.
- Cucumber ribbons can be a low-carb or keto-friendly substitute for pasta or noodlesFsalad.
- If you don’t have a spiralizer, consider getting one for convenience.
- Alternatively, you can use a vegetable peeler, but it will take more time and be a bit more challenging.
How Do You Stop Cucumber Salad Getting Watery?
- Cucumbers are mostly water, around 96%.
- Adding them to a salad can make it very watery.
- To avoid this, sprinkle salt on the cucumbers and let them sit in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- The salt helps draw out the water from the cucumbers, preventing excess moisture in the salad.
What’s The Best Cucumber To Use In A Salad?
Cucumbers come in various types, mainly pickling, slicing, and specialty cucumbers.
For salads, it’s best to use slicing cucumbers.
Popular types include diva cucumbers, sweet success cucumbers, and straight eight cucumbers.
English cucumbers are particularly good for salads due to their long, straight shape and thin skin.
The thin skin of English cucumbers makes them ideal for slicing and adding to salads without peeling.
What Herbs And Spices Go Well With Cucumber?
- Cucumber is versatile and pairs well with various flavors.
- Its neutral taste blends nicely with more intense flavors.
- Spices like coriander, cumin, dried chili, turmeric, and fenugreek complement cucumber.
- Herbs such as basil, chervil, dill, mint, oregano, parsley, sage, tarragon, and thyme are excellent matches for cucumber.
Can I Use In Place Of Pecan Nuts?
- If you don’t like pecan nuts, you can try other nuts or seeds for a crunchy element in the cucumber ribbon salad.
- The goal is to add crunch without overshadowing the other flavors.
- Consider options like pine nuts, macadamia nuts, walnuts, or even sesame seeds for the desired crunch.
What To Serve With This Cucumber Ribbon Salad
Yes, it’s delicious on its own when served as a light lunch or a starter. You can, however, serve it up as a great side dish for any of the following:
- BBQ pulled lamb – melt-in-your-mouth fantastic, this recipe is irresistible
- Grilled lamb loin chops – another classic lamb recipe that would taste fantastic with a cucumber salad as a side dish
- Smoked beef short ribs – another dish that will make your taste buds explode!
- Oven baked barbecue chicken – a great recipe for your next BBQ, especially if you serve it with this cucumber salad
In summary, making a tasty cucumber ribbon salad is easy and enjoyable. Just follow the recipe steps, use fresh ingredients, and pay attention to the dressing. Whether as a side or a light meal, this salad is a crowd-pleaser with its refreshing flavors and textures. Enjoy a simple and delightful dining experience!
Q: How do I make cucumber ribbons for the salad?
Use a vegetable peeler or a mandoline slicer to create thin, ribbon-like slices from the cucumber.
Q: Can I use any type of cucumber for this salad?
Yes, you can use regular cucumbers or English cucumbers, depending on your preference.
Q: What kind of dressing works best for a cucumber ribbon salad?
A light vinaigrette with ingredients like olive oil, vinegar, and herbs complements the salad well. Experiment with your favorite flavors.
Q: How far in advance can I prepare the cucumber ribbon salad?
It’s best to make the salad shortly before serving to maintain its freshness and crisp texture.
Q: Can I add other vegetables or ingredients to customize the salad?
Absolutely! Feel free to add ingredients like cherry tomatoes, red onions, or feta cheese to enhance the flavor and variety of the salad.
Q: How long does the cucumber ribbon salad stay fresh in the refrigerator?
Ideally, consume the salad within 1-2 days to ensure it stays crisp and flavorful.
Q: Can I make a larger batch for a party or gathering?
Yes, you can scale up the ingredients to accommodate a larger group, but remember to adjust the seasoning accordingly.
Q: Can I substitute the suggested dressing with a different one?
Certainly! Experiment with various dressings to find the one that suits your taste preferences.
Q: Can I prepare the cucumber ribbons in advance and assemble the salad later?
Yes, you can prepare the cucumber ribbons ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator. Assemble the salad just before serving for the best results.
Q: How can I make the cucumber ribbon salad more visually appealing?
Consider garnishing with fresh herbs, a sprinkle of seeds, or a drizzle of balsamic glaze to add a touch of visual appeal to your salad.